The Co-op stocks a range of goods – both packaged and unpackaged. Packaged goods can be purchased just like at an ordinary shop, and include chips, dairy products and alternatives, noodles, juices, soy milk, canned veggies, and much more.
However, the Co-op’s speciality is unpackaged goods, which are sold in large bulk bins and include chocolate, pasta, flours, grains, pulses, herbs and spices, nuts, cleaning products and much more. The best approach is to come prepared with containers and bags from home, then follow the simple steps below. It may seem daunting at first, but doesn’t take much effort and the volunteer co-ordinators are always on hand to assist.
- Particularly if you are buying from the bulk bins, please wash your hands in the kitchen. Please note that the Co-op is in the process of purchasing “no handling” food grade plastic dispensers which will help us keep everything clean.
- If you didn’t bring a list from home, pick up a notepad and pen from the counter immediately opposite the front door.
- Scout out what you’re after – there are signs and the friendly volunteers and other members will be happy to help you.
- Weigh your containers and record the weight on the notepad or on the container itself. This will be used to subtract the cost of the container when purchases are being calculated. If you are using plastic or paper bags or other light containers you can note the amount- which might be a few cents – or you can consider the few cents a donation to maintaining our Co-op.
- Fill your containers and when you’re ready, take it to the checkout
- If you have an accidental spill, please clean it up. There are rags, brooms, etc in the kitchen you can use. If you’ve spilled a large quantity or the item is an expensive one, please consider making a donation to cover costs – the Co-op has a standardised very low mark-up and is a non profit organisation.
- If you forget, or need more containers, there is a bench with used bags, jars, etc, although it can be a bit of a lucky dip. There are new paper bags available to purchase cheaply.
3 reasons to shop in the co-op:
- Wholesome, healthy food and products
- We bring local food to your table
- We’re community owned by people like you!
Check out the Products page for some of the products we carry (we hope to bring a full list to the website soon), and information about our Fresh Food Boxes, or what’s In Season In Canberra.